Introducing my portfolio, the best of atmtx

atmtx portfolio, front page

atmtx portfolio, front page

You know I post a lot of photos on my blogs, like a man obsessed. On mostlyfotos, I post a new photograph everyday. I also post some more on this blog. So why do I want yet another site to post photographs? Well, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I realize I don’t have a true online portfolio. A place where I can direct someone to see my best and/or favorite work.

I’ve looked around on the web for a good-looking yet budget priced portfolio site and of course they are hard to find. I wanted a modern looking, minimal aesthetic. One where the pictures grow as the browser window is resized. Of course there are beautiful and really expensive sites that do this but I, being frugal, wanted a less expensive alternative. I think I’ve found what I’ve been looking for at 500px. There are a few more things I wished it could do but it does most of what I need at a reasonable price.

I mentioned a couple of days ago that 500px’s Awesome membership was on sale for $24.95. I jumped at the opportunity and now my portfolio is live. I’ve actually been working on this 500px site for a while. It takes some effort to go through the thousands of photographs and pick a small number that I truly like. On mostlyfotos, I post what I think are decent or interesting, but not all are of the same caliber. I also post a crazy mix of genres. My portfolio, however, is going to concentrate on a narrow set of topics.

Perhaps it is part of the maturation process but I’m gravitating towards architecture, interiors and the urban life. Particularly in the evening and night-time. I like color, as you can probably tell but I also search for reflections and a certain quality of light which I call “glow”. I’ve added one word descriptive and slightly goofy categories on my portfolio such as Glow, Striking, Structure, Blur and Cozy. I have selected 40 or so photographs and I may change them around once in a while but plan to keep them focused.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.

You can access the portfolio from the link up top but here is the direct URL:

1. wherethedaytakesme

Beautiful as always.

November 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

2. Thanks you, wherethedaytakesme.

November 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm

3. The 500px option is definitely a workable solution. Looks good.

November 26, 2012 at 7:50 am

4. looks good. nice and neat.

November 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

• Thank you, Libby and pixieslvjason gold.

November 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

5. This is looking good. You’re motivating me to get off my butt and get my portfolio put together. I’ve had my 500px account for a year and have done nothing with it! The hardest part is culling out the images. I have a hard time deciding what is best and I’ve read that you don’t want more than say 20 images in a gallery because it overloads the viewers. Very difficult for me to decide which images should make the cut. Figuring out how to categorize is another challenge. I like what you did with the simple descriptive words.

November 26, 2012 at 8:54 am

• Mike, it is indeed difficult to self select images. I can’t say if these are my best or just my favorites. I don’t know if I have too many since I have 40 or so… Though I’ve seen pro photographer sites with about this much and it seems manageable.

November 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

6. Excellent selections. The escalator shot remains my favorite. You might want to add in the best of the nighttime, neon-lit, parked motorcycle shots.

November 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

• Mike, thank you and an excellent suggestion. I may have to add one of those shiny neon-lit bikes.

November 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm