Sick of crappy black and white street photographs?

Ever notice a lot of crappy, black and white photographs passed off as street photography? Henri Cartier-Bresson wannabes? Yeah, I know I’m not immune. I’ve done my share.

I just came upon Steve McCurry’s blog. Yes, that Steve McCurry of Afghan girl fame. His portraits and street photographs are beyond fantastic. They are in glorious, saturated color. Not timid imitations of the classic “black and white style”.

Beyond the spectacular photography, I like how the blog entries are in themed photo sets. Striking is the sheer breadth of world-wide images. They show humanity. They show the mundane. They show that we are more alike than different.

I have so much to learn.

Go check out his blog. You will be inspired.

1. Thanks for the tip. I knew he was good, but his blog is unbelievable. His use of color and people is amazing. Even his landscape photos all seem to have people in them. Thanks again.

December 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

• Yeah, really amazing stuff. Yes, I like how almost every photos has at least on person in it.

December 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

2. Steve is very good – it’s a shame that his claim to mainstream fame is the Afghan girl, and even then, people don’t know his name. You know what I mean – the masses will see that one photo, but never investigate further.

HCB – just love his work. Such an insight into geometry.

December 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm

• Well at least Steve got some notoriety while he is still here. Well deserved, of course.

December 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm

3. Yes, I follow Steve’s blog since quite a while, and he’s really good. HCB? A master, but just one of many. For a good and cheap overview about most of them I’d recommend this book from Taschen publishers: http://www.amazon.de/Photographie-20-Jahrhunderts-Jim-Heimann/dp/3836541033/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354857543&sr=8-1 – don’t know if that ever was translated into English as well tho, but you’ll still get the names and the photographs. It’s worth it.

December 6, 2012 at 11:21 pm

4. i been seeing his blog sometime.. a stunning photographer.
    Steve McCurry proves about hard dedicated work..
    OK the calendar shoot “looks” easier..it’s not!
    B/W needs a strong motif and sense of timing, perspective and forms and shapes.
    In one sense, it’s easier in B/W as you/one does NOT have to match colors..
    Look at Costas Manos, American Color, for getting matching colors.
    Think he has done a Video on YouTube about it.
    I have one small digital camera set for B/W only.
    The color on it is TOO RED but great B/W.

December 7, 2012 at 6:20 am

5. About Steve McCurry’s images, you are spot on. As for the bw street photography stuff – well, like the rest of photography, it’s subjective. What one person may think of as “crappy”, another person may think of as “gritty” or “edgy” or some other description.

December 9, 2012 at 5:21 am

• Rebecca, yes no arguing that different people have different tastes. Thanks for your visit and comment.

December 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm