Attending Drink and Click, a festive photowalk

Aigerim at Spider House - Austin, Texas

Aigerim at Spider House – Austin, Texas

Last week, I attended my first Drink and Click, a new social photography group started in Austin, Texas. I’ve meant to go for a while but my schedule just didn’t work out. Juan Gonzalez, who started the group, has done a heck of job and many chapters have opened around the world. He is a friendly guy and I had good time talking to him. Juan along with Lotus Carol run the group, both very popular photographers on Google Plus.

I’ve gone on many photowalks but this one has a slightly different dynamic. While other photowalks tend to be very photography oriented with a bit of social tacked on, Drink and Click seems like equal parts photography and socializing. Like a group of people out to have fun that just happen to take pictures. But don’t let all the socializing fool you, there were some outstanding photographers. It’s just that they don’t take themselves too seriously. I’m going again because I found it refreshing.

Beer, Tattoo, Spider House - Austin, Texas

Beer, Tattoo, Spider House – Austin, Texas

Hotel Reno, Spider House - Austin, Texas

Hotel Reno, Spider House – Austin, Texas

We started at 37th and Guadalupe, an old neighborhood with eclectic holiday lighting. We then headed over to Spider house a few blocks down for some more clicking and some drinking. I’ve never been to Spider House and it was fantastic — my kind of place with wild decorations, neon, and a whole mess of lights. It’s the kind of place where you might find holiday lights up in August. Of course, we were there at night, which is my favorite time of the day for photography. I’ll post photographs from 37th street another day but today it’s all about a very Austin looking joint.

Bar Neon, Spider House - Austin, Texas

Bar Neon, Spider House – Austin, Texas

Warm and Eclectic, Spider House - Austin, Texas

Warm and Eclectic, Spider House – Austin, Texas

I had my new two camera Olympus setup with the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 attached to my new E-PM2 and the 14mm attached to the E-P3. I’m really liking the combination of the 50mm and 28mm equivalents. They give me enough focal length variety to take my urban landscapes, architecture with the 28mm and I like to use the 50mm for portraits and capturing details.

Crazy Lights, Spider House - Austin, Texas

Crazy Lights, Spider House – Austin, Texas

Spider House Lamp Post - Austin, Texas

Spider House Lamp Post – Austin, Texas

Time flew quickly and the gathering was going strong when I left at 11pm. I’ll need to go back to Spider House again. It’s the kind of place where I can spend hours shooting. And I will certainly go to another Drink and Click for some more social photography. You can check this rapidly growing list for a local Drink and Click chapters near you. Photography tends to be an individualistic activity but you might have a good time shooting with a fun group.

Photographs taken with 2 different cameras the Olympus E-PM2 with the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 lens and the Olympus E-P3 with the 14mm f2.5 lens.

Make sure to click on the photographs to a see larger version. Hover over the photo to see the picture details. Multiply the Nikon focal length by 2.7 to get the 35mm equivalent.

1. Hotel Reno – love it! Do they rent rooms by the hour? LOL.

I get together with some old farts for coffee weekly, We have actually gone out shooting a bit lately instead of just sucking down caffeine and gear yacking. It’s been good and over the winter we’re going to do some post processing little workshops. The guys range in age from about 22 to 83 so it’s pretty diverse. I have joined a few “organized: groups over the years but there’s always too much trauma and drama.

December 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm

• That is a diverse age range. “Trauma and drama” LOL, I’m almost afraid to ask about what? Equipment?

December 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

• You know, all that “I’m the Leader” baloney. And oh yeah, “Mine is bigger than yours”. We had one guy who had too much money and was buying gear left and right lending to everyone. Then someone ticked him off one day and he took all his toys and went home never to be heard from again. He was ok at times, but he also thought everyone should be bowing down to him at every moment. What a load of crap.

December 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

2. One of the few DaC meetups I’ve missed lately. I like that group. It’s always interesting to see how your’re using your Olympus kits. I recently bought an OM-D and so far I am unimpressed. But in fairness I haven’t shot enough to really work out the best way to use it for my shooting style. I find it too slow for quick, dynamic street shooting but again, that’s probably my learning curve…. one thing I have noticed, I must rely on the histogram to “see” exactly what i’m shooting. Otherwise, I am disappointed in the results in Lightroom. C’es la vie. BTW, I think there is a DaC photowalk this Thursday at the Trail of Lights.

December 18, 2012 at 11:35 am

• Bill sorry to hear about your experience so far with the OM-D. We should compare notes at a Drink and Click. I won’t be able to make this Thursday’s, too many things going on before my holiday trip. I will join you guys in the new year.

December 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

• Gregg Mack

billoriani, you might want to try the “Highlight and Shadow” mode instead of the histogram mode. If you have it enabled in the comples OM-D menus, then all you have to do is push the Info button one more time to get it from histogram mode to “Highlight and Shadow” mode. Once there, it is just like when you are in the Basic Panel in Lightroom’s Develop Module, and you hold down the Alt key (Option key) while you drag the Highlight, Shadow, Whites, or Blacks sliders. This is my default shooting mode with my OM-D, and I can instantly tell what might be over exposed (to the point of clipping) or under exposed (to the point of clipping) BEFORE I trip the shutter.

December 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

• Thank goodness I’ll have a good trainer when I get the OM-D next year ;-)

December 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm

3. Gregg Mack

Andy, these are some very interesting shots of a place that I’ve never heard of. Did you use a tripod, or just set your camera on something else that was stable?

December 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm

• Gregg, all shot handheld courtesy of in-body IS, large apertures and relatively high ISOs. Hover over the pictures to get the EXIF info.

December 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

4. Pingback: The Olympus OM-D E-M1 goes to Drink and Click | atmtx photography blog

5. Pingback: An Impromptu Photowalk, Drink and Click and more Fuji X100S thoughts | atmtx photo blog